01 09 10

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Serve Up Some Love!

There is no greater LOVE than to give your life for a friend!  (John 15:13) St. Valentine sacrificed his life so that others could experience great LOVE(For more on St. Valentine follow this link:  Here) For Valentine's Day express your gratitude for those who sacrificed greatly caring for all of God's children by sharing cookies with someone who may not have reason to celebrate LOVE.

This is what we will do:


  1. Make heart shape cut-out sugar cookies.
  2. Make frosting.
  3. Make sprinkles.
  4. Package and deliver our cookies to our unsuspecting love victim :)
Cookie Recipe: 
These cookies are fantastic!  Seriously, they are the best sugar cookie I've tasted!
*  1 cup butter (softened)
*  1.5 cups powdered sugar
*  1 egg
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 2.5 cups flour
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1 heaping tsp. cream of tartar.
Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

I just threw all of this stuff in the mixer.  It didn't mix super well, so I formed a ball with my hands.  Then I put it in the refrigerator for awhile.  I'm not sure if that step is necessary.  When I took it out of the fridge I formed a smaller ball with my hands (the dough needed to be softened a bit).  I rolled it out on the cutting board with a little flour and cut out heart shapes!  Easy Peasy!  It makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Frosting Recipe:
*  1 cup shortening (I didn't have any so I used a cup of softened butter)
*  1.5 tsps Vanilla
*  1/2 tsp. lemon extract
* 4.5 cups sifted powdered sugar (I don't sift)
*  3-4 Tbsp. milk

I threw all of this stuff into the mixer.  The milk made it creamy.  I separated it into 3 containers and added food coloring to get the different colors.  I made blue, pink, and yellow!

Sprinkle Recipe:
*  1/4 cup sugar
*  Food Coloring
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

I filled a muffin tin with 1/4 c. sugar and added food coloring.  Then I stirred each one and set it in the oven.  After 10 mins the sugar hardens and I scooped it into little bowls.  I had to smash the sugar with a spoon to get rid of the clumps.  Its super fun to have the variety of vibrant colors without the expense of purchasing the different bottles of sprinkles!





No comments:

Post a Comment