01 09 10

Monday, March 4, 2013

The Prodigal Son Lesson Plan

Luke 15:  11-32 - The Prodigal Son/Lost Son/Forgiving Father

This is what we did at Sunday School to teach the lesson of the Prodigal Son:

Introduce the Lesson:
I usually start Sunday School lesssons with Scottie the Lion.  He is a puppet who carries a bag.  He puts something in the bag that relates to the lesson I am teaching.  He passes the bag around the circle and each child gets one guess at to what is in the bag.  This week it was a pig.

Share the Bible Story and Verse:
I read from the Bible - Luke 15:  11-32

I acted out the Bible story with little toys.  I used Little People farmers and animals to role play the story.

Activity:
We played Hide and Go seek with the "guys".  The kids found a partner.  One partner hid a "guy" in the room.  The other person had to go find it.  When he/she found the guy the child shouted out:  He was LOST and now is FOUND!

Relate to their own Life:
I had the children stand in a line across the room.  I stood in front and told the kids that I was representing God.  I then asked the kids this question:  What are some things things that kids do that they need to say they are sorry for?  Every time a kid could come up with an answer they took a HUGE step backwards (away from God).  When they were on the other side of the room I asked them what they could do to get closer to God.  APOLOGIZE!!  When they yelled out, "I'm sorry", I ran towards them and gave each child a chocolate kiss!

Craft:
We did a muddy pig craft.  The kids colored a pig, glued it to a big peice of paper, and painted mud all over the page. (The mud was brown washable paint and coffee grounds) It was super messy.  Be sure to have a sink nearby.




Snack:
We ate dirt cake for a snack.
- crushed Oreos (20 oz)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 boxes instant chocolate pudding
- 1 package of Cool Whip
- package of gummy worms

( Layer Oreos and the pudding mixture)  Hide worms throughout!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4/22/2023

    These are GREAT ideas!!!!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete