01 09 10

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pinata!

My boys and I decided to try our hand at making a pinata!  The boys LOVED the goopy mess it created! 

This is what we did:


 
 

  1. We blew up a balloon for each child.
  2. Then I created the "glue mixture"  (1 cup water to 1 cup flour).
  3. We ripped newspapers, dunked it in the mixture, and layed it on the balloon.  You have to flatten/smooth out the newspaper once you put it on the balloon otherwise it will be lumpy.
  4. We hung the wet newspaper covered balloon from the ceiling to let it dry over night. (ceiling of an unfinished basement)
  5. The next day we glued cut-up squares of tissue paper all over the balloons.
  6. Currently, the pinatas are hanging in the basement.  We need to get stuff to fill them before we pop the inside of the balloon fill 'em up, and smash 'em.
The boys LOVE the idea of getting to smash the pinatas and keep the candy!
 
This activity kept us busy for about 2 hours.  1 hour each day.  I did have to help the boys (the toddler mostly) with this project.  It was also very messy.  Next time, I will lay a plastic tablecloth over my counter so that I can just throw it away when we are finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment